TheyWorkForYou has, until now, only covered things that have already happened, be that Commons main chamber debates since 1935, Public Bill committees back to 2000, or all debates in the modern Northern Ireland Assembly.
From today, we are taking the UK Parliament’s upcoming business calendar and feeding it into our database and search engine, which means some notable new features. Firstly, and most simply, you can browse what’s on today (or the next day Parliament is sitting), or 16th May. Secondly, you can easily search this data, to e.g. see if there will be something happening regarding Twickenham. And best of all, if you’re signed up for an email alert – see below for instructions – you’ll get an email about any matching future business along with the matching new Hansard data we already send. We currently send about 25,000 alerts a day, with over 65,000 email addresses signed up to over 111,000 alerts.
Mark originally wrote some code to scrape Parliament’s business papers, but this sadly proved too fragile, so we settled on Parliament’s calendar which covers most of the same information and more importantly has (mostly) machine-readable data. Duncan and I worked on this intermittently amidst our other activities, with Duncan concentrating on the importer and updating our search indexer (thanks as ever to Xapian) whilst I got on with adding and integrating the new data into the site.
I’ve also taken the opportunity to rejig the home page (and fix the long-standing bug with popular searches that meant it was nearly always Linda Gilroy MP!) to remove the confusingly dense amount of recent links, bring it more in line with the recently refreshed Scottish Parliament and Northern Ireland Assembly home pages, and provide more information to users who might not have any idea what the site covers.
Signing up for an email alert: If you want to receive an email alert on a particular person (MP, Lord, MLA or MSP), visit their page on TheyWorkForYou and follow the “Email me updates” link. If you would like alerts for a particular word or phrase, or anything else, simply do a search for what you’re after, then follow the email alert or RSS links to the right of the results page.
- ^ main chamber debates (www.theyworkforyou.com)
- ^ Public Bill committees (www.theyworkforyou.com)
- ^ all debates (www.theyworkforyou.com)
- ^ what’s on today (www.theyworkforyou.com)
- ^ 16th May (www.theyworkforyou.com)
- ^ Twickenham (www.theyworkforyou.com)
- ^ see below for instructions (www.mysociety.org)
- ^ Parliament’s business papers (www.parliament.uk)
- ^ calendar (services.parliament.uk)
- ^ Xapian (xapian.org)
- ^ home page (www.theyworkforyou.com)
- ^ Scottish Parliament (www.theyworkforyou.com)
- ^ Northern Ireland Assembly (www.theyworkforyou.com)
- ^ Signing up for an email alert: (www.mysociety.org)
- ^ View all posts in Launches (www.mysociety.org)
- ^ View all posts in TheyWorkForYou (www.mysociety.org)
- ^ Follow responses to this entry (www.mysociety.org)
|< Prev||Next >|