In the aftermath of the Riots Sue Payne, CHYPS Chair, had telephone conversation with the Minister, Tim Loughton, she followed this with a meeting with DFE officials where CHYPS agreed to support the independent qualitative research commissioned by the Cabinet Office.
This research will focus on young people from 6 Local Authority Areas. CHYPS nominating some youth workers and Heads of Service for the interview. In each of the 6 areas CHYPS is doing some further work to identify the youth offer in these areas. We want to understand if there is any correlation between cuts in services and youth projects (including diversionary activities) and the ability of young people’s services to respond to events.
This needs to be ready as a companion piece to the Cabinet Office report in early October.
CHYPS would also like some feedback from youth services in the areas both where there were riots and where these didn’t happen. We are collating for return to the DfE. It would be really helpful if you could supply any information by the end of September of your experiences of what did or didn’t happen in your area.
Where riots did take place you might want to cover:
- Insight on the nature of the riots: young people (16-19); young adults (19-25); adults
- Involvement or context of: known gangs; specific neighbourhood/geography; NEET’s/unemployment; 'troubled families
- any response in services and youth projects (including diversionary activities) in the aftermath of the riots
If you were in an area where there weren’t any disturbances could suggest why that was the case, including perhaps
- suggesting the local circumstances that were in place
- local initiatives (including diversionary activities)
- preventative actions that were undertaken
Since then the DFE has also asked for CHYPS to nominate 2 Local Authority areas so that the Department can undertake in doing some analytical work to quantify the total funding going into services to young people in a local area and its various sources (LA, central Govt, fees, private sector, voluntary (unpaid) work, donations.
|< Prev||Next >|